April 4, 2011

The countdown is on. 6 more weeks living in "our first home." We moved in when Isaak was a newborn. We brought Ezra + Silas home from the hospital to this space. We have spent the last 5+ years here. Which for us, says a lot, because we had been a little bit gypsy- moving often. Even across the country to New York! We thought we would be here for good. The in-laws live only 12 houses away. Which was awesome. Scot grew up riding his bike through these streets. And so we thought it would be our perfect place to settle down and raise a family. But in the five years we lived here, it just never felt like home. To either of us. Isn't that strange? I'm not sure exactly why either. We never really settled into this space. And although we have always longed to live in the Central Coast, we have always known it is just not the right time for us. And so, two years ago, an opportunity opened up for us to move. Into a home that had been abandoned for 12 years. It was and is still a wreck. Truly, a wreck. It needs so much work it is crazy. The house currently has little electricity, no plumbing, holes in the floor, and walls torn down to the studs. And yes, we are moving into this in 6 weeks. It is a construction zone in the biggest way imaginable. We will be moving into this with a newborn, 2 year old and 5 year old. It will be interesting. I will have to definitely channel my inner Ma Wilder, you know, Little House on The Prairie style. If she can do it, I can do it. Right? :) Many have asked how things are going and expecting the stress level to be high. But I can say in all honesty, we are happier and more peaceful than ever before. Sure there are logistical issues to consider. I am NOT looking forward to taking our 2 loads of laundry a day to a laundromat with 3 boys in tow. Nor am I looking forward to figuring out meals for my boys without a kitchen. But we have been blessed abundantly. And I am grateful. Just yesterday, I drove the boys to our new home. I had to water the new trees Scot planted. And the house looks as if the whole thing should just be torn down. But in the front, poppies are blooming in abundance. POPPIES! All over. Their beautiful orange blooms filled me with delight. And hope. And expectation. We are not even moved in yet, and already, I feel home. Del Rey... here we come!

1 comment:

Greta said...

I love this post and your calm, peaceful attitude. You are awesome! Love from,
Greta