November 12, 2010

A few years ago, I asked my grandmother for a collection of her most cherished recipes. I specifically asked them to be handwritten and on recipe cards. I love looking at these cards. It is amazing to me that you can see a person when simply looking at their handwriting. I love my grandma's handwriting. And I am thankful for these tattered recipe cards.


I enjoy creating her recipes, with my own tweaks. Today, we had leftover oatmeal from breakfast. Instead of tossing it, we used the extras to make her recipe for oatmeal muffins. Although, later in the day I found out it was actually my mom's recipe, taken from the 1970 Betty Crocker Cookbook. Wherever it comes from, it is divine. I tried a few new things to the recipe today and it turned out scrumptious.

There are simple things in life that bring me delight. One of which are brown eggs.


And another, my vintage jars that hold our grains.


Sometimes, it is the simple things in life that bring such pleasure. As I was preparing our muffins this morning, I was thankful for these items of unexpected beauty. If you don't already, I encourage you to consider storing some of your kitchen goods in containers that you enjoy seeing and working with. It just isn't the same opening up a styrofoam package of bleached eggs, or a paper sack full of flour. It's the little things that make a big difference.

Isaak and I worked together to create our muffin masterpiece. Although, sadly, he could not partake. These are NOT gluten free muffins. Thankfully, we had made gluten free pumpkin muffins just a few days prior, so he did not mind a bit.

Give them a try. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.

Oatmeal Muffins ::

Mix together:
1/2 C canola oil
1 C white sugar
1 C brown sugar
2 eggs

Add:
1 1/2 C flour
1/2 t salt
1 t baking soda
1 t cinnamon
1/2 t nutmeg
1 C cooked oatmeal, cooled
1 carton Trader Joes banana yogurt (The small thick one, not the big runny one! You can leave this out, this was one of the big tweaks today... but it was so yummy!)

Top with:
coconut, brown sugar & butter mixed to your liking

Bake at 350 until done



Bon Appetit!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love taking the first bite of a treasured family recipe. Although the recipe creator may no longer be with us, Ifeel their love again so tangibly as if I just received a hug.