April 28, 2011


Today, I braved the mall with my 5 year old, 2 year old and 2 month old BOYS. The babe strapped to me, the little one in the stroller and the big one by my side. We didn't just go to any ordinary mall. You know, where regular folks shop. NO. We went to South Coast Plaza. Walking past stores like Chanel, Gucci, Mikimoto, & Hermes just to name a few. I honestly began laughing out loud at myself. Feeling SO not Jackie O. Wearing my dirty TOMS, maternity jeans (yes, two months later!) that are so stretched out- they keep falling down, an old Old Navy tank all stretched out from pulling it down to nurse and a cardigan from Costco. YUP. Costco! Hair tied back, straight out of the shower and no make-up. SO not feeling stylish. And walking through the mall looking at all the put together employees and shoppers was quite humbling. And also, filled me with laughter and delight. Because I would choose kid stained clothes any day over a beautiful get up from Gucci. And I walked through the entire mall laughing at myself. Out loud. For real. It made me totally think of my friend's post over on her BLOG just the other day. (Click on the link and check it out!) But being humbled in my appearance was quickly overthrown by compliments. I have NEVER received SO MANY compliments on my kid's good looks and good behavior. Not to mention compliments of what a rockin' mama I was to brave the mall with 3 boys. Apparently, that's unheard of. I didn't know. One of the women that stopped my boys to check out how cute they were, stopped us again on the way out. She called my boys "HOT!" I'm not sure how I feel about that. But I'll take it in the best way possible. Because they are quite adorable. :) Even with bed hair. In sweats. With dirty faces. Because that's how my kids looked. Is it possible these people just had pity on us? Next time I need an ego boost, I'm going to South Coast Plaza!

Confession: I would, however, love to someday accessorize my un-stylish self with a vintage Hermes purse. I can dream. (sigh.)

No comments: